No enterprise succeeds on one person’s abilities, efforts, or characteristics. Rather, a business will succeed with a blend of skills and characteristics that enable it to function as a great symphony, performing its great work.
A productive and efficient enterprise can be diminished or blocked if these work characteristics are enabled or even celebrated:
- Arrogance on the part of an employee can lead to their feeling exempt from following rules or processes, resulting in improper or disruptive activities. It can lead to diminishing and demeaning actions that wear down others on the team, even compromising the team itself.
- Gutsiness with no boundaries. Call it over-confidence, exceptional pushiness, irrational gumption, or something else, it results in poor judgment in a team member and customer relationships.
- Wishy-washy agreeableness. People need to have standards and make clear decisions to get work done. People who do anything to get along with others or say anything to simply be agreeable aren’t going to help the enterprise.
- Over competitiveness. People who bully others to get the results they want or who push others out of their way to the top, as they perceive it, don’t make good teammates.
Characteristics to Avoid in Selecting New Hires
Every new member of a team should be evaluated for their potential contributions to the workplace and results of their work, so avoid these non-desirable characteristics:
• Inability to take feedback.
• No evidence of being a team player; simply working well with others.
• No ability to gain the knowledge and confidence to contribute on his/her own.
Good Characteristics to Cultivate and Reward
Cultivate and reward these work characteristics to achieve a quality organization:
- Confidence and self-awareness.
- Interpersonal and communication skills.
- Honesty and integrity.
- A desire to improve.
Seek Expert Funding Assistance
Contact Coastal Commercial Lending based in Virginia Beach, VA, and servicing commercial loans throughout the United States. With a wide variety of financial products, we make finance the easy part of growing your business.